The citizens of Uzice were the first people in the era of Obrenovic dynasty and the first in the Balkans, who dared, at dawn of the 20th century, to use in practice the principles of alternating power invented by Nikola Tesla. The foundation stone for the power plant on the River Djetinja was placed by the King Aleksandar Obrenovic in 1899, and the „Siemens“ machines , paid by gold, were transported from the far away royal city of Vienna. The efforts paid off: on the Day of Saint Ilia in 1900, the plant began working, producing power and lightening the city. The city weaving workshop, which financed the construction of the power plant, in that way got a cheap power source.
The power plant works even today, the old machines produce new power, and the bust of Nikola Tesla stands in front of the plant and expresses the gratitude of the citizens of Uzice for the life and work of our greatest scientist.