The stone medieval fortress, built on the cliff above the River Djetinja, watches over Uzice for centuries. First certain historical records on the Old Town, as the citizens of Uzice call it now, are from the 14th century. An aristocratic family Vojinovic had been mentioned as the owner of the fortress from which could be seen and protected the road to Bosnia, and after that family a powerful Serbian Duke Nikola Altomanovic.
This fortress, that was inaccessible due to the steep rock and the river from three sides, was destroyed and rebuilt several times in its history. It was ruined and destroyed as a military fortress, after the last Ottomans were expatriated from the city. Beside its representative look, today there are just walls left from the fortress, the tower and the building one meter high, after the destruction in 1863. But aside all the facts, the image of the old fortress can be imagined even today.